6.1.07

Nadal dumped as Malisse dominates

CHENNAI, India (Reuters) -- Belgian Xavier Malisse stunned world number two Rafael Nadal 6-4 7-6 to move into the final of the Chennai Open on Saturday.

He will face Stefan Koubek of Austria, who outplayed twice title winner and fifth-seed Carlos Moya of Spain 6-3 6-1.

Third-seeded Malisse produced a dominating all-court display, serving powerfully and breaking the top seed in the third game to clinch the first set.

The world number 37, a semifinalist at Wimbledon in 2002, had to fight hard to keep the rampaging Mallorcan at bay in the second set.

The 26-year-old saved three set points each in the 10th and 12th games and played superbly in the tie-break to shut out the Spanish left-hander.

It was the Malisse's first win in three meetings over the 20-year-old Spaniard, who exited in the first round in his only previous appearance here as a rookie three years ago.

"It's my first victory against a player ranked as high as number two. I served very well, while for him nothing went right on set points," Malisse told a news conference.

Nadal, who won five titles in his first eight tournaments in 2006, has not reached a final since Wimbledon in July when he lost in four sets to Swiss ace Roger Federer.

Disappointed

"I am disappointed - it is important for me to reach more finals and win them," Nadal said.

"I had my chances in the second set but he (Malisse) was playing really well and served well," Nadal said.

"If I had won the second set, I would have won the third as I was feeling better and better."

Nadal plays in Sydney next week as he prepares for the season's first major, the Australian Open in Melbourne later this month.

"It was a good tournament here. I'll take it forward to Sydney and give my best at the Australian Open," Nadal said.

Koubek, 79th in the ATP rankings, will be chasing his fourth tour title after dashing No. 42 Moya's hopes of making the Chennai Open's final for the fourth consecutive year.

No comments: